5.17.2012

Draft of a Resignation Letter?

"I've been thinking through my life a lot lately, and my job, and how those two things tie in together, and I've realized that this job is just not a good fit for me. It's been eight months, and for most of those months I tried harder than I've had to try for a job. Part of that is the environment - which has certainly not been optimal for me - but I'll take the blame for part of it as well.

Either way, I think the best course of action is for me to resign, and for you to find someone with experience and know-how. Training me from scratch may not have been such a good idea after all when you consider that you were simultaneously trying to train yourself how to use those systems. If it wasn't unfair for you to expect me to learn new systems while you were relearning them, it certainly wasn't the best idea.

I'm fairly resolute about leaving - there are days when I think I'm dumb for wanting to, but if I'm really honest with myself, I've been wondering when I would leave almost since I started. It was a countdown until Indie Grits, and now I don't have something important to keep working for. I love Andrew and Isaac, and I love the Nickelodeon and Indie Grits, but you've made it increasingly difficult for me to love the work I do. It's the systems, yes, and the fact that I'm terrible at anticipating you, but it's also the way you treat all of us. When you hired me, you said we'd "work closely together," but that's not at all true. You work far above me and expect me to know what you need without telling me, and you don't respect me enough for it to be anywhere near working "with" me.

I really appreciate you taking a chance on me, even though I'm sure it'll look like a wasted effort to you. I'm sorry I'm leaving before you in a lurch, but I'd be happy to help you train the next one, or write an extensive list of where things are and how I've organized things. I would still love to come to the Nickelodeon and volunteer for Indie Grits, and I hope you won't think of me too harshly for realizing that someone else would do a better job, and I'd do a better job somewhere else."

Can I do this kind of thing in an e-mail?

No comments:

Post a Comment